From the founders of the renowned, Casa Malevo, Abasto blends the twin passions of coffee and food to create a unique slice of the Argentine in London. We have got two delicious recipes to share with you!
Aubergine and pomegranate salad
Chef: Noha Emara
Cooking time: 17 minutes
(Grilling: 15 minutes - Mixing: 2 minutes)
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
5 garlic cloves
Parsley for decoration
1. Cut the aubergine in 1cm slices
2. Brush the slices with vegetable oil
3. Grill the slices on both sides for 1 or 2 minutes just until they have the marks
4. Cut the red and green peppers in little squares and cover them with vegetable oil
5. Grill the peppers for 1 or 2 minutes, just to burn the skin
6. Peel the garlic cloves and grill for 3 minutes
7. Mix all together and season with black pepper, salt, and olive oil
8. Sprinkle the pomegranate on top and decorate with parsley leaves.
Cheese & Onion Empanadas
Chef: Alejandra Morán
Cooking time: 43 minutes
(Preparation: 15 minutes - Assemble: 20 minutes - Cooking: 7 minutes)
1/2 kg red onions
1/2 kg grated cheese
1 pack of 16 Empanadas Discs (Oven - Medium size) You can buy them at Abasto
Ingredients for the bechamel sauce
100gr plain flour
1gr Crushed chili
1. Heat the butter in the pan
2. Add the flour and cook it in the butter mixture with a rubber spoon
3. Once the flour turns yellow add the milk slowly and keep mixing
4. Add spices
5. Cook for 5 minutes. Don't stop mixing.
6. Let it cool
1. Sauté the onions, add spices
2. Let it cool
3. Add cheese and bechamel to the onions
4. Taste the mixture and add salt if necessary
5. Mixture ready to assemble empanadas
1. Take one disc
2. Add 50 gr of filling in the middle
3. Paint the border with water to make it sticky
4. Close the disc in half forming a crescent
5. Press the border to prevent the cheese to come out when cooking
6. Hold the tips and join them. The form is like giant tortelli. This shape will prevent the cheese to come out.
7. Place the empanadas on a baking sheet
8. Optional: Paint the top of the empanadas with egg for a shiny presentation
8. Cook for 4 minutes. Turn the baking sheet and cook for another 3 minutes
9. Take from the oven when the dough is golden.
Eat and enjoy!
Don't forget to follow @ConnaughtVillage to keep up to date with everything.
We have got two delicious recipes to share with you from Abasto!
© Connaught Village 2020 Site designed by Sister London